Wednesday, October 7, 2009


I'm sure I'm late to get around to posting this. It's probably old news, but for some it might not be.

Since moving to New York I have become kind of a gearhead when it comes to bikes, though a very slow-to-learn one. I have gone through 5 bikes in less than two years now, swapping and selling them, getting hit by cars on them, giving them to Jack only to have them stolen hours later, etc. Possessing the personality that I do, it's hard for me to ever feel finalized in my bike quiver. Currently I own my Holy Grail bike--a Waterford built Schwinn Paramount track bike with a full Suntour Superbe Pro group, with the exception of the wheels which are Mavic Open Pro's laced to Phil Wood hubs--a more proper city track bike wheel, I think. I have been slowly tweaking the most current project, which I am almost ready to abandon and leave as be, a Kona Paddy Wagon, built up like a porteur bike, specifically designe, not for delivering papers, but for hunting/gathering at Trader Joe's on Monday AM's.

Anyhow, what I wanted to post was about some kids I know through a gulp bike forum. I have met some really great guys on there, many who I met in real life and later realized were on the forum. One of them was Lucas, who I have become really close with, though he talks to me like he was my girlfriend and I the negligent boyfriend.

So, they did a write up in the New York Times about of a thing that Lucas and Devotion's friend John Prolly has organized in Williamsburg each Thursday evening called Peel Sessions. I've been to a few and enjoyed hanging out talking shit, drinking a beer or two and watching kids get silly on tweaked out track bikes.

Full article here

2 comments:

Elle said...

I didn't know the Schwinn was called the Holy Grail!

AshHole said...

It's MY Holy Grail. So are you, though.

"As you get older it is harder to have heroes, but it is sort of necessary."