Sunday, June 14, 2009

Last week Elle and I flew north for the Caldwell-Nanney union in the LaHave Islands of Nova Scotia.

We flew into Halifax on Thursday and arrived early in the afternoon, rented a car, and drove three hours south-west(I think) across the peninsula (make sure you don't call it an "island"; people there are very quick to correct you and apparently very proud of being "connected to the rest of Canada" and when correcting you usually make some sort of comment about how "Americans know nothing about Canada," though a young friend of Ezra's who lives there, when we told him this story, said, "shit, it's pretty much a fucking island") to the Bay of Fundy.


The Bay of Fundy claims to have the most extreme tidal shifts in the world. A combination of bottom contours, currents, and a Viking curse or something, causes the tides to fluxuate tremendously, leaving boats that once were sitting pretty in 20 feet of water high and dry at low-tide.

We had reservations at the Thistle Down Bed and Breakfast and were pleased to find it actually on the Bay and as pretty as the pictures made it seem. The B&B was owned by a guy named Mel whose eyes never fully opened and whose dry sense of humor and creepiness combined to cause a slight case of paranoia in Elle and I when we found the room furnished with a stuffed white teddy bear which I quickly examined for a camera or other recording device.


We spent a day and a half there eating scallops (in everything!--scallops in our omellettes even), relaxing, and driving around the area. We hiked to Balancing Rock, drove out the the furthest part of the peninsula, took a bunch of ferry's, and checked out some lighthouses.

On Elle's request I had been growing a beard for the two months prior to this. It had gotten a little grizzly and she seemed to have changed her mind about it (when we first started dating I had a beard but shaved it very soon after we became serious--very soon, as in ON our first real date, which is another story entirely--and she wanted me to grow it again). I brought ONE disposable razor with me to shave the thing off my face. It took 45 minutes of hacking at my poor, sensitive face to remove the bulk of it. I left this:


We left Saturday mronig and drove back across the island to the LaHave Islands for Ezra and Hillary's rehearsal dinner in Petite Riviere. It took two hours of driving through empty pin tree-lined roads to get to the coast and another half-hour weaving along the most beautiful rocky coastal roads before we found the island.

Hillary and Ezra have been telling me about Nova Scotia since I met them. They spend a good amount of their summers there and are always eager to share it with their friends. They decided the wedding was the perfect way to share such a special part of their lives with their closest friends and family. Seeing where and how they live up there was incredible.

I will follow with a post on the wedding, which I am still trying to do justice, and a bunch of photos.



No comments:

"As you get older it is harder to have heroes, but it is sort of necessary."