Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Will you carry me across the sea...

I honestly don't remember the first time I heard Sunny Day Real Estate's "Diary." It must have been ten or more years ago, in High School. I assume I was in my 4Runner, or in Juice Box's Jeep. I don't remember. So, I can't say how long it has been since I have wanted to see them live, but it has been a while.

I got to see them Sunday night. They were amazing, in the most un-bastardized, literal sense of that word.

Elle and I went and ran into Terrence of the Lafayette Luftwaffe. Terrence got to see them in their heyday, on their tour supporting "How it Feels to be Something On." We both pine for that period of music. We both still listen to Superdrag, SDRE, Samiam, and other bands from the early-nineties, before the word "Emo" was ruined, coopted and stripped of any meaning. It is a word that does not mean anything anymore, and certainly one that a band like SDRE does not recognize.

I'm sure one day I will get around to writing a long-form essay about my love affair with this time period of music, about the aesthetics of vulnerability, etc. But right now I want to tell you that SDRE played an incredible show. The crowd (which consisted of a disproportionate number of tall, chubby, black-shirted sad men, so many that is was very difficult for Elle to see no matter where we were in the crowd) erupted at the first notes of each song, a choir singing in unison to each chorus.

It was a good show and one I will not forget soon.

Here's some clips.



4 comments:

TND said...

again, i apologize for having the big goon stand in front of you and elle. i'm cursed I tell ya.

AshHole said...

Ahahaha! It was pretty funny. You prophecized it!

Elle said...

Big goon... as in... singular big goon? There were multiple big goons. And all 6'9", with no dance moves.

Mr. Lentini said...

wow sunnyday real estate--I used to listen to them in 10th grade

been a while

"As you get older it is harder to have heroes, but it is sort of necessary."